Democratic Executive Committee
Founded in 1832, The Harrison County Democratic Executive Committee (HCDEC) is the local governing body for The Democratic Party in Mississippi, which is the statewide organization of the National Democratic Party. The HCDEC includes the cities of Biloxi, D’Iberville, Gulfport, Long Beach and Pass Christian.
The HCDEC is charged with managing the Democratic Party primary elections for all county, state, district, and Federal elections held within Harrison County, Mississippi.
Members of the HCDEC serve as election officers in those primaries, charged with the same duties and bound by the same laws that the Harrison County Election Commission follows in general elections.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Certifies Democratic candidates running in a primary for those elected posts mentioned above.
- Manages the creation of the ballots used in elections.
- Staffs the polling places with the poll managers who make those elections possible.
- Resolves any contests that might arise in the wake of a primary election.
- Serves as the governing body of the County party between conventions.
- Sets the party’s agenda.
- Resolves disputes that may arise.
- Manages the precinct and county caucuses and conventions that provide the basis for the party’s organization.
- Advances the purpose and goals of the Democratic Party.
- Works closely with the HCDFW and the HCYD to inform and educate the voters of Harrison County as to the nature of these goals.
- Encourages the candidacy of those who would serve the state or the county as elected Democratic officials.
At the beginning of each four-year term of the Committee, members run for and are elected to leadership positions on the Executive Committee. These officers, who meet monthly, have specific areas of responsibility and also oversee the County Party’s strategic planning process.
CHAIR Rae Shawn Davis – email@example.com
VICE CHAIR Hunter Dawkins – firstname.lastname@example.org
SECRETARY Austin Baldwin – email@example.com
TREASURER Martha Lee Bohn – firstname.lastname@example.org
PARLIAMENTARIAN Renick Taylor – email@example.com
The HCDEC includes a number of standing subcommittees, and membership in them is not limited to executive members of the HCDEC.
- Budget & Finance
- Education & Membership
- Party Development
- Senior Democrats
- Voter Registration
- Young Democrats
Precinct Captain Program
We also have a Precinct Captain Program that let’s people get involved at the most grassroots level. Any Democrat can become as involved as he or she may choose.